Mosquito Abatement Couriers brought to you by the SFPUC WasteWater Collection System Division
As part of the City and County of San Francisco’s Green Purchasing efforts Pestec provides services to the Citywide combined sewer system catch basins for the prevention of mosquitoes. Pestec utilizes human power to reduce carbon emissions produced as a result of this program and applies larvicides that are reduced-risk to our applicators, the public, and the environment.
The MAC Team
The Mosquito Abatement Courier (MAC) Team was formed in 2005 as a response to the rapid spread of the West Nile virus in California. West Nile virus is an arbovirus spread by infected mosquitoes. The first reported case of WNV in the U.S. was in 1999 in New York, it appeared in California two years later. According to the Center for Disease Control WNV in the U.S. has claimed 1,911 lives from 1999-2015. From 2003 to 2016 there have been over 6,000 human cases of WNV within the State of California. In the same period there were 248 WNV related fatalities Statewide.
What is the MAC Team doing? The team bikes and walks throughout the City from mid-February through October 31st to:
- Inspect the catch basins
- Treat catch basins that contain standing water
- Paint the curb above the catch basin
- Record the data for monitoring, evaluation, and collaboration
Fight the Bite
Waste Water Enterprise is doing it’s part to Fight the Bite in San Francisco by proactively monitoring and treating the combined storm sewer system. The State of CA’s Fight the Bite Campaign urges California residents to report any mosquito activity as well as dead birds to their local vector control program. This campaign has helped to track mosquito borne diseases in mosquito and bird samples throughout the state. These samples are an absolute necessity in order to track disease activity in the mosquito and bird populations and ultimately help prevent such diseases from infecting people.
A vital part of a successful mosquito abatement program is public awareness. Several times a day MAC Team members have conversations with San Francisco residents explaining what they are doing and why. In those brief conversations we are able to educate residents about this proactive program as well as about where mosquitoes can breed and how we can prevent them.
For more information
- On the Fight the Bite campaign in California visit the State of California West Nile resource site.
- To report mosquitoes, dead birds, or for more information on the San Francisco Department of Public Health Vector Control program visit them here.
- About the San Francisco Department of the Environment’s Green Purchasing and Toxics Reduction effort visit their page on integrated pest management.
- About mosquitoes check out the University of California Davis Statewide IPM Program pest fact sheet on mosquitoes.
To learn more about the MAC Team and how Pestec can help you live mosquito free contact us today!